Friday, June 04, 2004

Deployment Methodologies

I am here not because I have some solutions, but that i am looking for solutions.

Sometimes blogging must be a two-way communication, where I share things I hope would be of value to you, but also things that would be of value to me.

That's called win-win.

Today or actually this last year I have been searching, looking for a deployment methodology.

Currently where I work, we use a tool called QVCS for our source control. Great and cheap tool, however it does not come with deployment methods.

Where 1-5 files, in a variety of folders could be moved to any of a variety of servers.

I know there you can do it via ftp, or use Dreamweaver or Studio's built-in deployment methods.

But since I am a Textpad, coding cowboy, we can do ftp of 1 file to 1 location, but nothing more complicated than that.

I have researched different ftp software, but have found nothing that really appeals to me.

Do any of you have any ideas?

If so, please post a comment or email me at crosenblumhotmailcom

Thank you very much.

4 comments:

  1. Have you taken a look at Fusebuilder. This is a product of fine work and something all fuseboxers should consider! ( www.fusebuilder.net )

    Also, you should look at the concept of Frameworks... a full framework concept... which is more than a methodology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That assumes that fusebox is something I want to pursue, i mean no offense, but I can't imagine wanting to go to fusebox.

    I can learn things from it's example, but it's not quite there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May be it is off topic but have you thought about using ANT as a deployment tool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That appears to be a little more complicated then what i want to do.

    I may have 2-3 files in all different folders, then i want to deploy them, once they are done testing to the production servers of which I have 2.

    ReplyDelete