Tuesday, June 22, 2004

What's on your bookshelves?

It turns out that most of us, are trained by book knowledge, that and experience of course.

So I come to you today, to share what's on my book-shelves, and curious to here what you have on yours?


  1. Oracle PL/SQL Tips and Techniques

  2. Learn SQL Server 2000 Administration

  3. The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL

  4. The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Stored Procedures, XML and HTML

  5. SQL Server 2000 Programming

  6. Instant SQL Programming

  7. Visual DHTML for the world wide web

  8. XML in 10 Minutes

  9. SQL Server 7.0 in 10 Minutes

  10. SQL in 10 Minutes

  11. Stupid Web Tricks

  12. Community Building on the Web

  13. Designing Web Usability

  14. Homepage Usability

  15. Website Automation Toolkit

  16. XSLT for Dummies



It is still sort of amazing the value of the printed word, as a means of communication and education.

Each of these books is sort of a step on a giant ladder, as we progress thru our skill-sets and our gradual shifts of paradigms.

Even to this day, I like to read >Website Automation Toolkit, because it was written before content management systems or backoffices, really existed. So here was this Paul Helsinki, who had writted for the Web Techniques Magazine, had come up with a couple different concepts of using perl to create a content/site management system.

I still get some new ideas, or refresh my concepts when I read a good old book like this.

Of course, I really got my web start, using the Instant HTML Book by WROX, a well-used book of mine,as a HTML reference.

In a way it is very pleasant to look back and see where we were, as long as we do not get too proud or egotistical about it.

Have a good day everyone!

8 comments:

  1. For starters,

    Designing with Web Standards, Jeffrey Zeldman
    Refactoring, Martin Fowler
    Design Patterns, (GoF)
    Data Access Patterns
    Enterprise Integration Patterns
    Core J2EE Patterns
    Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
    Unit Testing in Java
    Test Driven Development
    JUnit in Action
    JavaServer Faces (O'Reilly)
    Software Configuration Management Patterns
    Beyond Software Architecture
    Inside SQL Server 2000
    Reality ColdFusion and J2EE Integration
    Reality ColdFusion Intranets
    Reality Flash and J2EE Integration
    Relational Database Design for Mere Mortals
    SQL-92 Reference

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Well, I USED to have lots of books, mostly anything by O'Reilly. I got so darned tired of throwing out the old technical manuals, I must of killed half a forest with just Java 1.0 books.

    What I prefer now is my O'Reilly Safari subscription which gives me online access to the books, true, not as easy to read in the home library (Guys, you know where I mean), but darn easy to search.

    My primary source of inspiration comes from the blogs now.

    Regards,

    Chris Wigginton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:18 PM

    You mean books I actually read? Geez, that's a tough one. O'Reilly is the shiot, but I either tech edit books, or just read blogs that should be binded into a book.

    1. The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene (gives me inspiration to create in Flash)
    2. AD&D: The Players Handbook (gives me inspiration to create in Central)
    3. Flash Enabled (still has some good lessons on building content for devices because devices haven't matured as fast as computers in terms of accessibility to developers like me; ie, non-java non-C)
    4. ActionScript Cookbook (got it free in the mail; great as samples in drrr; I tech edited so I know it's cuuu)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:18 PM

    ...and once again, the obligitory 2nd post for my sig...

    --JesterXL
    --www.jessewarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember with nostalgia my book AD&D Mythologies Book, the one that got canceled, because it used too many copyrighted material.

    Onto Fictional books:

    The Philosopher's Stone by Colin Wilson
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois Bujold

    many more, i just can't remember. Gosh darn, it, I have 2 huge bookcases, 2 small bookcases, each double-stuffed with books.

    Half Price Bookstore, that's the place for cheap used books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:15 PM

    In no particular order, here's what on my shelf at work:

    Carpe Jugulum - Terry Pratchett
    The Essential Jung - C. G. Jung
    Pocket Guide to Outlook 2000 (don't ask - I don't even use Outlook!)
    Accelerated C++ - Koenig (the definitive book to learn C++)
    Modern C++ Design - Alexandrescu (stunning)
    Oracle 8i The Complete Reference (I got it when I went on an Oracle DBA course)
    XML and PHP - Vaswani
    Learning XML - Erik Ray
    Generative Programming - Czarnecki and Eisenecker (destined to become a classic)
    Design Patterns - Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides
    Object-Oriented Project Management with UML - Murray Cantor (brilliant book - highly recommended!)
    The Rational Unified Process, An Introduction - Kruchten
    The Unified Modeling Language User Guide - Booch, Rumbaugh, Jacobson (just about the best introduction to UML)
    Java Modeling in Color with UML - Coad, Lefevre, De Luca (excellent introduction to archetypes in design)
    The Java Enterprise CD Bookshelf - O'Reilly (horribly out of date now but still useful if you copy it onto your laptop!)
    Fusebox: Developing ColdFusion Applications - Peters, Papovich (everything you need to know about Fusebox 3)
    ...plus a slew of Macromedia Press books (because I get those free!)

    Sean A Corfield
    http://www.corfield.org/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this accounting software site, it's pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete