Monday, July 19, 2004

Time to move on...

Well time changes, and we all change, so I just lost my job, for all those firm cfpurists haters, can go hip-hip hurray...
 
Well here we are start of a brand new week, life brings you struggle sometimes....
 
I am not saying I am mistake free, that I am perfect, nor do I think that there exists such people.
 
We all try, I wasn't really happy, they weren't really happy, so ce sera, time to move on....
 
I already have ideas for some business products I want to create...
 
Even though I had issues with the company I worked for, I still love the ecommerce industry.
 
There are always great challenges in both getting visitors to purchase something and then make sure you can fulfill them, and perhaps get repeat customers...
 
Month after month, I read all about all this need for huge web analytics software, to analyze tons of logs, for personalization and segmentation.
 
But when I've seen articles written by people who've implemented such methods, they are not getting what they want out of it....
 
I really feel the whole industry needs a new approach on how to point customer a to the great products that the customer is really looking for.
 
But instead what happens, those people who deal with the different parts of their multi-channel company, each channel's marketing people decide what navigation, what categories, what search, what tools, what help, and rarely is there any synchronization or common sense.
 
Then come the usability geeks, or anyone who has some common sense, see that there is issues with customers satisfaction in finding things.
 
It's just too easy to forget why we have each channel.....
 
To help the customer find the product...
 
But if each channel does things differently, how likely are those multi-channel customers to be confused???
 
Well anyways, last night as I was reading Christopher Rowley's, The Founder, a short sci-fi book. I felt inspired or envisioned to create a new product.
 
Basically a two-fold product:
 
1. To identify when and where, as fast as possible, the customer is not finding what they are looking for.
2. To create ways to help immediately, and friendly help the customer.
 
It's not quite well thought out yet...
 
And I have some other ideas as well...
 
Basically I want to find a way to create some cheap tools that get rid of the need for these unrealistically expensive tools like coremetrics.
 
I mean, really, it's nice to hack the data, but the data is not the customer, and you are not responding to what their needs are but to your delayed perceptions of them.
 
Anyways that's my thoughts...

9 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this, as it really sucks to be let go. We've all been through it...

    On that note, best of luck on your business ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:22 AM

    Cheer uo, chin up and start padding that CV...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Bummer. Hire Charlie Vike to represent you in a lawsuit against your former company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:09 PM

    hey, since you have time on your hands now, come to this website and talk Vikings football. Your Vikings thoughts have been missed:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/208566

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:14 PM

    What did yoou do to get canned? If you were fired because of your looks, you need to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:18 PM

    You need to change your bio if you fired. You no longer work for a "top 300" employer in that area. If you leave it the way it is, that would make you a big fat liar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:18 PM

    You are still crazy as Ricky and uglier than sin.
    Two words - plastic surgery. Lots and lots of plastic surgery.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:26 PM

    I have been fired many times from jobs but I just use my heart(which you cannot see) deisre and tentnacity to climb back on the horse as they say and try again because tomorrow is another day and this Rehtt does give a damn. Bah. They may say negative things about you as they do about me and dog your every step with nipping and bark bark baring but just remember to look over ytour shoulder at the sunset and things will be as right as a heartlfet poem or the strumming of a guitar.

    The Racoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:37 PM

    BAH
    You probably deserve it.

    ReplyDelete