Monday, June 13, 2005

Why CF can be a scary ride sometimes..

I've been reading a post by Mark Kruger on Coldfusion Panic - why CF coders scare easily, in there he talks about how easily CF coders get scared when big changes happen.

This is something so poignant at a time, when we've got the Adobe/Macromedia merger happening.

We all remember the change from Home Studio/Cold Fusion Studio to Dreamweaver, and how the lessening of support for the older IDE's.

Face it, we are very empassioned in our interest in Cold Fusion.

We all have things we love to do in coldfusion, that we like to do a certain way, and that really is natural and okay. Even if we sometimes disagree sometime.

For example, I am of the minority that use a text-editor, textpad instead of Dreamweaver of Home Site Studio. It really doesn't matter, and there should be no need to push our choices on others.

I started my path to Cold Fusion, working as a Tech Support for an ISP, being bored, so I worked my way up to Webmaster and Hostmaster. But even that did not challenge me enough, so I kept asking questions of the nice web gurus in the web department.

I had to teach myself, which has it's good and bad parts.

And I've done good coding and bad coding, but it's so hard to know what is the right way of doing things or the wrong thing, during my earlier times, because there was no training, no leading by example, other than the few articles of CFDJ.

But like many technical skills, it takes experience to shape us, and then as we learn more and more, we become driven to become better and better, learn new things, keep our minds challenged.

There really are so many interesting and exciting things we can do with Cold Fusion; from working with Flash, PDF's, CFC's, Webservices, UDF's and more.

And we must keep growing, and that growth can be both exciting and frightening at times.

I know there's part of me that likes the old non-gui, non-rich internet days, but we must move on and not backwards.

I guess that's what makes me a purist.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 PM

    real surfers use Lynx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:49 PM

    Actually, it is ColdFusion, not Cold Fusion. Also it is HomeSite, not Home Site. And it is is ColdFusion Studio, not Home Site Studio, although confusion is understandable, as HomeSite+ and ColdFusion Studio are effectively the same product.

    Which leads to the next thing, ColdFusion Studio and HomeSite and HomeSite+ are all text editors.

    Even Dreamweaver is actually a text editor and can be treated like one.

    Writing code in HomeSite(whichever version) is exactly like writing code in TextPad, NotePad, so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I am being nit picky, but there is a real difference between ide's and text-editors.

    At least in my mind, text-editors are faster to load, and are less interfering in your code work. However they can offer features that you must turn on, like syntax-coloring, search/replace etc.

    If I know how to code, I prefer not use an IDE, because text-editors are just faster to use.

    However, a lot of IDE's are great for beginner coders, and have a lot of nice tools, like VTML, RDF, etc.

    It's usually best to try both, to see what best fits your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Craig, the faster-to-load issue is surely all but irrelevent. As with an OS, once an application is up and running it's the stability, ease of use and feature-set that matter, surely? Fast loading times are nice, but hardly the thing that most pros place at the top of their "must-have" list, unless your machine is crashing on a regular basis and requires frequent re-starts? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:50 AM

    Oh, by the way both Homesite and Eclipse (with CFEclipse) are IDEs and neither of those unduly "interfere" with your code, unless you ask them to anyway. Their features are opt-in for the most part.

    I find both apps to be like bionic "coding-exoskeletons", they extend your existing powers without interfering with your core working and coding preferences.

    ReplyDelete