Friday, October 21, 2005

Good Morning Fuseboxers!

Well here I am Day 2, still alive. I am liking FLiP, and I just need practice prototyping, as I have never done any of that. However I strongly agree in not coding until all plans meet the approval of the client.

I completely hate wasting time and energy re-doing applications because:

1. client either did not know what they wanted
2. didn't know how to communicate their wants
3. They couldn't make up their mind as to what they wanted..

Fusebox i believe is a step in the right direction, but i agree i have to fully use it to really get my feet wet before i can say use/not-use.

However the setup for each app is a pain, but I am more than willing to give it a try.

Here are this morning's class notes...

----------------- Friday Morning - Day 2 Class Notes ------------
FLiP - has nothing to do with fusebox....software engineering lifecycle process...

FLiP - Fusebox LIfecycle Process

70% fail to meet their objectives
-budget, timeline, feature set

-fail to plan, plan to fail

1. Wireframe - Set diagrams
a.storyboards
2. Prototypes & Devnotes
a. Prototype is a fully html ui generated for each page/step - Full as if the application existed. Static HTML Version
b. Devnotes helps communicate what's done/missings for each prototyping
3. Code Planning
a. skilled application architect defines the fusedocs... fuses, fuseactions
4. Coding
a. write independent fuses, team or pair-coding
5. Unit Testing
6. Deployment & Integration

Design Interface First, then let the interface indicate the database design/queries
Then fusebox interfaces/controlls the two. and the interaction of..

Mail Reading Application
-Home Page with login interface underneath it
--Post to List based email messages interfaces
--- Link back to previous step
--Read Email Messages
--- Link back to previous step

P.S. Here is a really funny tie-in with the Minnesota Vikings. Denny Green is one of my favorite Business/NFL Books talked about "Plan your work and work your plan".

Planning is really essential, and sometimes under-looked by real small web shops.

More to come....

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 AM

    I'm just finishing up my first Fusebox project and starting on the second. Once thing I did this time is reuse my first project, I cleaned it all up to a good starting point and then checked that into my Subversion. So NEXT project I can just check that out - and start with a good foundation vs. setting EVERYTHING up again.

    One thing I've found is I don't dread opening up the Fusebox project as much as some of our older apps - with the Fusebox/MVC I don't have to think as much about where stuff is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:52 PM

    I agree with the previous poster, you pretty much know where everything is and why it's there, even if you've never set eyes on the application before. Unless the original app builder bent over backwards to break MVC or else the framework conventions, re-visitng old applications tends to be far less fraught than with no-framework apps, in my experience at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59 AM

    I think what Craig is really trying to say is "Sorry I was so wrong about the whole Fusebox thing, it's amazing what you can learn when you actually use something..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what you think of fusebox now that you have used it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if i had found a job/opportuntiy, I would love to give it a try.

    But i am still looking for a job.

    ReplyDelete