Monday, October 10, 2005

Intro To Fusebox

Well the day has finally come, I need and am going to take the intro fusebox class. It's not like I don't want to learn anything new, i just want to learn things that make me a better coder.

In this case it's more about getting skills that will get me a job.

Intro To Fusebox

I don't hate fusebox, as much as not really want to use it, because 100% of the time i'm a solo coder, working on hte full application.

I also don't like having all applications go thru a central app, which over time can tend to get bloated. That's how these things can get...

However there are some real pluses to fusebox, that I bet most of you thought i'd never say as long as I was alive...

1. Modularity - This is to be commended, and modularity used correctly, for maximum performance.
2. Teamwork Oriented Framework - I commend any method that helps new coders and old coders work together to create better products.
3. Standards, standards - I may not agree with all the standards of fusebox, but getting coders to stick to a standard instead of making one up, every week, is to be commeneded. This is a major problem in our industry.

Now as for OOP, I really don't care if other people use any model of thinking as long as it produces results, but then as long as i can produce results,why does it matter how i think of programming?

I have done plenty of javascript programming in my career, it is object oriented, and I can usually get done what i need to get done, without being a hardcore OOP.

For me the highest goal is creating solid applications we can be proud of, and not have to fix, upgrade because it wasn't done the right way the first time..

I also feel it's important we think about the posterity, if we died, how easy would it be for other people to fix, learn, change, any of the applications I created.

But when lots of people use lots of different ways, it creates havoc for other people who may have to change/alter their code.

Instead of making this a holy crusade for whichever framework or methodology or thinking process, we should concern ourselves with creating great applications, solid standards for our industry, and finding ways we can work together, instead of fighting..

I know i've had my share of flaming, but I'm done with that, let's move on, let's make ColdFusion the best web industry it can be...

I've been reading a lot of interesting stuff on fusebox, oop, and i no longer care about the flame wars, I just want to get a job, learn to master my craft.

And just keep moving forward...

Does anyone care to share their thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:23 PM

    I sometimes think about cheese on toast, and in turn it allows me to think of more complex thoughts.

    You see food stimulates the brain, just like hot water in a shower does.

    Cheese on toast could possibly end world hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Glad to see you are prepared to take some training and learn a framework. I hope it helps you in your quest for a job!

    And one nice thing about Fusebox is that you can do OO if you want or you can stay procedural. Enjoy the training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:24 PM

    I'm just finishing up my first Fusebox site and so far so good. I'll be doing any future sites in Fusebox and will be 'encouraging' the other developers here to use it...

    The big benefits are the same as you mentioned - if I open a project - regardless of the developer who worked on it - it'll be Fusebox and I'll know where/how things work.

    It will be interesting to do the next project in Fusebox to see how much I can carry over from this one.

    Next project I'll probably also try a bit of the FLiP methology which alos looks like it has a lot of benefits.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:57 PM

    You say:

    For me the highest goal is creating solid applications we can be proud of, and not have to fix, upgrade because it wasn't done the right way the first time.. I also feel it's important we think about the posterity, if we died, how easy would it be for other people to fix, learn, change, any of the applications I created.

    But yet you consistently dismiss OOP as not being effective. I don't get it, OOP is reconized by the industry to do what you just described above. I think you need to be willing to learn more about OOP and give it a chance. I think you will be pleasently surprised. I also think that after your Fusebox training you see that is a great way to develop large applications in a more maintanable fasion and you won't even have to use the dreaded OOP style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not dismissing it, i just see that i can get the same results without using it...

    Let me give you a real life example I took a beginning java class, but it was barely understandable to anyone because he can only communicate in oo talk, which i find highly annoying.

    I am a very procedural logical thinker, I have nothing against learning Java, but i want to not have to think in OOP.

    You can use OOP, as long as I am not being forced to use it, to get the same job done..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 PM

    ...and with that last comment Craig, you reiterate the reason you're unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:15 PM

    Craig, I think you'll get great benefits from Fusebox 4.1 even if you elect not to use CFCs and to not build an OO model. The MVC separation Fusebox facilitates is, IMHO, probably the biggest 'quick win' a procedural coder can achieve. Just the act of prising apart all those tightly coupled views, logic routines, queries, etc. should bring great maintainability benefits (it certainly did for me).

    Hope you don't get despondent when FB immediately adds some 'overhead' to tasks that were once highly simplistic. It's important to bear in mind that FB's overhead (as with most frameworks) tends to remain fairly uniform, even when an app reaches Byzantine complexity. And this is the key point, frameworks like Fusebox really shine when the going gets complex. Their benefits are not necessarily apparent when used for trivial apps. Among other things, Fusebox is a tool for managing and organising complexity.

    Good luck with it. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really sad, because if i don't use someeone else's favorite thinking/coding framework or mentality that means I am slamming them.

    Not true, do what you like, it's your life and you can live as you like.

    But I also have that same right...

    Now me personally If that Java class I had been taught not so long ago, had been taught procedureley I woul d have found it much easier to learn.

    I don't pretend to speak for other people, I can only speak for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:47 PM

    I fail to really see the advantage to those of us already developing in OOP and maintaining thier own code libraries. This just seems like more of "Macromediation", creating code for people instead of simply teaching them to do it themselves from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete