Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I think I am getting OO

After that's all the cf blogs talk about lately, and so I am kind of slowly but surely getting on to that path.

To me it's all about better architecture for applications. I kind of like the idea of Model-View Controller, it was the methodology that was taught in that Fusebox Class I took..

It honestly was very interesting, if you work in team environments.

My big pet peeves was, the parsing fusebox has to do, to enable mvc. Now I admit I am still new to MVC and OO.

And that was my big problem with the whole process, was the whole setup process, how it affects performance, having to do all the parsing to enable MVC.

Secondly, how can we tell if we're going too far into OO, aka focusing more on the architechture then speed of delivery.

I think it would be nice to get some opportunity to learn and practice more MVC/OO.

And get my hands dirty in Ajax.

But until then, I will focus on my basics.

Project Management, Scalability, Documentation, Performance, Best Practices.

One of the ideas, I had posted a long time ago, was to have some kind of global code repository, like cflib, but it would be full applications, not tags. The purpose of this is to share code, review code, to see who writes what kind of application, in what way, that is both optimal and scalable.

Other than that, let's keep bring the bar up on CFML being the language to program in. We should be both coders and scientists...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I also found out the hard way that OO-style data transfer can take way more lines than procedural code, just for one entity. Multiply that times n entities, and the line count explodes. That was before I heard about persistence frameworks such as Transfer, Arf!, ObjectBreeze and Reactor. These frameworks can eliminate much of the model hand-coding by intelligently parsing the database design and generating model cfcs at runtime. Sean Corfield has a great presentation on this subject at http://corfield.org/articles/cfob_persistence.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you at the same level of OO as myself. I too fear that we can end up worrying about a methodology that does not come intuatively to most programmers, and lose sight of the project goals. BTW fusebox only parses the XML code into CF while you are developing - once you go live you change the fusebox.xml mode to "production" and no further parsing takes place. Maybe you didn't mean that :-) if so apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:50 AM

    Don't worry, these doctors, they can cure anything these days.

    ReplyDelete