Friday, March 03, 2006

What is a Site Bible, and why are they important?

Well for a number of years, I have been in the position of trying to go from a system of absolutely no documentation, to a system of documentation...

I honestly can't remember where I heard of this idea, but basically a Site Bible, is just a 3-ring binder, lists all your server info, datasources, databases, applications, personnel..

Basically if you died, who would know where anything was, and what anything did?

What is your development environment, and if your the one who set it up, what if you died, how would any new people know how to use it?

Some people have tried web-based solutions, but I tend to having printed copies of everything, secure of course, on-site.

I mean in the history of ColdFusion, it's not known for encouraging people to document their servers, databases, and etc. Because most cfer's do not come from a computer science background...

But all that aside, what if your whole team died, and they hired a new crew, do we all care so little for the work we've done,that we refuse to hand it off as good as we made it?

Also I am curious to see what other companies, people have used as their documentation process...

Site Bible's are also a good place to store emergency procedures, phone numbers, anything you need if online or servers go bad...

Think About It!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh. I always support Application Development. One reason I am hired is becuase I bring a requirement to document, document, document. Not just inline, but (you call Bible - I dislike that term) an Application Documentation document that outlines what you indicate, along with "Common Knowledge", QAQC approach, dependency, generally anything you want duplicated between developers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i am open to other names, it's not that important to me...

    By bible, i really meant in reference to a bibliographical nature, rather than the religious document...

    I have looked and found very little tutorials on how to create them, or best practices or any software to create them or even sql script.s..

    Thats' what i want to leanr...

    ReplyDelete